The Muhimbili Institute of Allied Health Sciences is an academic multidisciplinary health institution with the teaching, research and consultancy services. It is situated within the premises of Muhimbili National Hospital.
The history of the Institute goes back as far as the times of colonial rule when the first training programme was established. In 1928 a group of individuals were selected among Ocean Road Hospital attendants/cleaners to undergo paramedical laboratory training under an apprenticeship schemed which involved performing of simple tests and microscopy. At the end of the Second World War in 1945, a three-year formal training of Laboratory Assistants began at the Ocean Road Hospital which was later on (1956) transferred to the Medical Training Centre (MTC) at the then Princess Margaret Hospital which is now, Muhimbili National Hospital (MNH).
INSTITUTE OF ALLIED HEALTH SCIENCES
P.O. Box 65005
Dar es Salaam
Tel: Direct: +255 22 2152941, Tel. 2150302-6 (Ext. 1323 Director, Ext. 1322 OMS)